Sunday, January 23, 2011

Random Update: Sick, SAT, TV

So I’ve been sick since yesterday with some kind of throat infection that I seem to get about twice or thrice a year. I’ve lost my voice, am really congested and just generally don’t feel good. Luckily, districts for swimming is still 2 weeks away and shouldn’t be affected by this. The odd thing is that I very rarely get sick with anything other than this. It’s been a really long time since I’ve had the flu or any other illness for that matter so what’s up with my throat?! I’ve thought that it could be related to my tonsils but I have absolutely no knowledge of anything medicine (except for maybe what I gleaned from AP Biology). Explanations?
On an almost equally frustrating note, I had to take an SAT this exciting weekend. I can’t disagree with the concept of an SAT; aptitude is important when it comes to college and I believe the SAT does a pretty good job at measuring this accurately. This system is also a lot better in my opinion than that of some other countries; back in India where I was born and my parents grew up, college entrance often revolves around a single achievement test. Success on the test almost solely depends upon ceaseless hours to days of studying and there are almost never any second chances. The test is administered once and you can hope for your life that it’s a good day and that you’re not sick, say with a throat infection. In that way I really do favor the SAT/ACT but that’s about as far as my preferences go. The SAT is way too long! I understand the need to measure mental endurance as well and I know that there are probably longer tests out there, but still 4 straight hours including only three short 5 minute breaks  is a little too much. The most frustrating part for me is the experimental section; for those of you unaware of this, the test makers throw in an extra 25 minute section with possible future questions. It just really annoys me that while I’m working away hard, trying to stay focused, one of the sections isn’t even going to count! Well for now I’m just going to hope that my worst section was the extra one and we’ll find out on February 10th I believe.
On Sunday I completely lost my voice and did almost nothing but watching TV. The day started off with some NHL which is a lot of fun to watch plus the fights can’t hurt. I then moved on to the 10th Annual Eukanuba (I think that’s how it’s spelled) dog show which was actually interesting to watch except for I can’t for the life of me understand how the judges criteria in picking the best amongst those dogs. I then watched the playoffs. For no personal reasons whatsoever, I am kind of glad the Packers won. My AP US teachers is an avid Packers fan and though we can’t make fun of him now, class should be a little easier and maybe more fun this week. I don’t watch too much football but I’ll probably be supporting the Steelers at the Superbowl.
So it’s been an unusual weekend. Feel free to answer my question or share your thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment