Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fishy economics… I think not

When I was blogging today, I got distracted by my fishies in the sidebar again as always. As you can probably guess, the fish have nothing to do with economics and they were just a cool little add-on. Or are they? I started thinking about it and the explanation I came up with is really a stretch and probably makes me sound a little stupid but I have to have some justification for having the fish on my blog.
Economics is in many ways the study of scarcity. In this case, we have a market whose sole commodity is a bunch of yummy fuzzy orangish opulent doughnut-holes (FOOD clever right? J). The fish represent all the individual consumers who create demand for the FOOD which you or I the suppliers provide. We the suppliers can manipulate consumers especially when supply has been extinguished in this case by making them follow our mouse. Lastly, the ninja fish represent the few smart consumers who know how to remain invisible and swindle away FOOD unbeknownst to the market. They can also represent the awesome ninja-like individuals of society. And in case you don’t know who the ninja fish are, they’re the ones you can’t see against the background. They appear occasionally when they swim over other fish.
And there you have it, a very logical, not-stupid-sounding reason for me to have little fish in the sidebar of my economics blog. Now that you've been enlightened, go back to playing with the fishies.

PS If you want the fishies for your blog just click on "Add a Gadget" in the design tab, search for Fish (made by Adam Bowman) and it should be one of the first few gadgets. If you do add it make sure you offer a reason to have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment