Sunday, January 16, 2011

Aahhh Mechanical Beast!!! PopSci

Popular Science is one of my favorite magazines in that I have to make little effort to find out about really cool topics. In a way it’s my literary guilty pleasure which is in some cases what a magazine should be. The articles in Popular Science are fairly concise, the font isn’t absurdly small and best of all, there’s always great pictures. Take the last issue (January 2011) for example. On the cover we see perhaps the most awesome looking weapon of all time. I mean really is that a 8 cylinder Gatling gun, laser, and missile launcher all mounted on a dog-like mechanical beast. Honestly this thing looks at least ten times scarier than the mechanical hound from Fahrenheit 451 and I’ve even had a couple of nightmares featuring that guy.
Alongside these great facets, the magazine always has a few pages dedicated to announcing the kind of new products that, even if you probably won’t get them, just seem like the greatest ideas. For example (again from the new issue), we find “Gentle Wake” from LARK up which is a bracelet that gently wakes you and only you up over the course of three minutes by causing pulsing vibrations to pressure points on your inner wrist. Don’t say that isn’t a great product but then again am I going to buy it? Probably not. As an added bonus, cars also seem to find their way into each issue somewhere between the other fascinating articles. I will admit that I have a fairly limited exposure to magazines as my parents seem to only invest in ones that appear to offer some degree of coverage of world events or intellectual discoveries. With that said Popular Science has got to be one of my top picks.
PS I might do a future entry about National Geographic which is also a great magazine. It definitely isn’t one of those guilty pleasures except that it has some of the best pictures of nature you will find anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment