Sunday, December 12, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (P1)!!!

A few weeks ago the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One was released and though it’s probably impossible to fully live up to JK Rowling’s masterpieces, the movie was AMAZING, LEGENDARY, AWESOME, MAGICAL, SCRUMDIDLYUMPTIOUS, (insert all-caps, italicized word here)! I will admit that I was a bit depressed to have not seen some of the characters we are so accustomed to and Hogwarts but I think it was the varied settings that really defined what a change this movie represented. Harry, Ron and Hermione (I love how Hermione is a word according to MS Word 2007) are now travelling the world away from the comfort of Hogwarts. As a result the plot strays from the classic, but never boring, ending in which everything culminates into a brief encounter between Harry and Voldemort (now I’m disappointed that Voldemort isn’t a word in MS 2007). This allows HP7 to explore new dimensions and makes it more action packed than ever before which is very fitting as death-eaters draw ever closer, and their task becomes increasingly important.
So I f you can’t tell, I really, really, really love the Harry Potter series. I got off to a rocky start when in the first grade my mom gave the Sorcerer’s stone and I couldn’t get past page two. Three years later when we moved, I came across the book again and gave it another shot and this time I loved it. Within a couple of months I read the remaining published books and have stayed on top of the series ever since. I’ve read each book about two times and thanks to the wonders of digital video recording coupled with ABC families Harry Potter weekends, and I’m not kidding here, I’ve seen each movie at least five times through. The seventh book was the one I most anticipated and undoubtedly my favorite one. I pre-ordered it and got it on the release day and finished it within the second day (though I’m sure there are the crazy fans who cleared it with the day). As you can guess, I really wanted to go to the midnight showing of HP7 but as is my luck, it fell on one of our school’s finals nights.  Yup out of the 365 days in an year, the movie just had to be on one of six finals nights we have over the entire school year. And so I and most of my fellow unlucky classmates were kept home during this most special occasion. Nonetheless I got to see the movie by Saturday and have vowed that I will watch the midnight showing of the last movie (just watch now it’s going to be on finals again or some other impossible day). It occurred to me that right now is the greatest point of one of the greatest sagas of history (in my opinion J). HP7 part two will be bittersweet and when the movie ends, I just might break down. But not to worry, the series will undoubtedly live on for generations to come, and if not I’ll make sure my children read it.
In all the talk leading upto this most sacred event, I discovered that some people whom I knew very well did not dearly love and cherish the series. I feel it very important to briefly mention that if you fall into this class of individuals, no matter how great a person you may be, this is one fatal flaw that you really have to address.
And so I await the ending. Until then I’ll keep re-watching the movies on ABC and checking the mail for my letter from Hogwarts.
PS Youtube has enlightened me once again; I don't know if I'm super impressed or just scared but at least I now truly know who the biggest Harry Potter fan in the world is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VlIjXj9NA

No comments:

Post a Comment