Sunday, December 19, 2010

Florida School Board Shooting

I wanted to quickly mention the recent Florida School Board Shooting. Now before I begin, these are just my reactions. Don’t get me wrong; I truly believe that anyone who takes a gun to an unarmed individual and furthermore kills himself afterwards is a coward who probably doesn’t deserve to live. Now to the incident.
Ginger, you really should have thought things through before using a purse to attack an armed gunman three times your size. Nonetheless, kudos to your courage (if reckless) and I don’t know if I’d have it in me to do the same.
If there was a hero from this shooting, aside from guard Mike Jones who brought Duke down with two shots, I believe it was Superintendant Husfelt. He remained level headed and tried to reason with a clearly illogical man whose only counterargument was to raise a gun and fire. Even as Duke raised the weapon and aimed it point blank, Husfelt didn’t outwardly panic. I truly respect his efforts and his, self-endangering leadership in a crisis situation.
Lastly, I’d like to address the red V Duke painted on the wall. While watching the video I immediately recognized the V from the movie V for Vendetta. In the movie, an outlaw whose intelligence, morality and ability to reason far surpass this gunman, takes action against an unjust and oppressive government. Duke believed that this movie somehow provided an explanation for his actions. Now, V for Vendetta is one of my favorite movies and if you haven’t seen it, you’re really missing out. So naturally, I was upset when this was cited during the shooting. Though the media has begun to critically analyze the movie, I firmly believe that the news world needs to understand that this only goes to show Duke’s irrationality. This is a man who cannot find the true meaning in a masterpiece of cinema, and whose idea of expression of grievances involves not listening to and then trying to kill a righteous citizen.
           So there you have it. Now I’ll leave you to form your own personal interpretation from the video if you haven’t already seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment