Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Random Thought

Today after tennis, for once, I noticed the whole family was in the car. I got into the driver’s seat awaiting an explanation as to the great event that had drawn everyone out on a Wednesday night and surely enough it was (drumroll) to pick out cabinets for the basement bathroom we were finishing. OK… two things I’d like to quickly blog about concerning this event.
Does picking cabinets really excite people? I mean apparently it must, but still! I can understand being excited to say go buy a car, I can sort of understand being excited to even go buy clothes but the idea of being excited to choose the parts of your restroom remains outside my comprehension. And so I drove on, amused by the fascinations of my quaint little family.
Shortly, we arrived at the store except for it wasn’t really a store. I say this because this place, dedicated to enriching our restroom experience, was quite the fancy affair.  Upon entry we were greeted by a lady with whom we had a prescheduled appointment. She in turn stood in front of a well furnished office, a wall of color sample woods & tiles in nearly every hue known to man, and hundreds of square feet in mock kitchens featuring any and every cabinet setup. It was at this point that I arrived at my second epiphany* of sorts.
Only in our extravagant Western World do we have such exquisite boutiques dedicated to such frankly ridiculous purposes. My family comes from India and having visited the country, I’ve had the humbling experience of seeing poverty at its very worst. I don’t mean to sound dramatic but this single event capitalized on the absurdly comfortable lifestyle I’ve become so accustomed to.
So there you have it, my two odd observations of the day. I just thought I’d share; take what you want from my experience, and hopefully you’ll be a better, more appreciative person.
*I had the word on my mind after watching the prejudicial UCLA video. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. Terrible as she is it’s really kind of funny and so are the responses to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment